|Vacancy announcement number||1270|
|Date of issue:||03/12/2014|
|Deadline for applications:||04/11/2014|
|Organizational unit:||Policy and Techn. Advis. Div.|
Duration of assignment
3 years fixed-term (renewable)
The International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) is an international financial institution and a specialised United Nations agency dedicated to eradicating poverty and hunger in rural areas in developing countries. It does so by financing projects and programmes that increase agricultural productivity and raise rural incomes, and by advocating at local, national and international level for policies that enable poor rural people to overcome poverty
The Programme Management Department (PMD) is responsible for the overall lending programme of the Fund, and is composed of five Regional Divisions, Environment and Climate Division (ECD) and a Policy and Technical Advisory Division (PTA).
Duties and responsibilities
Within PTA’s Rural Institutions, Social Assets and Empowerment Unit (RISE), the Technical Adviser is a senior expert and knowledge builder in his/her thematic specialisation. He/she provides technical leadership at country level providing technical expertise and strategic guidance at all stages of programme design, development, monitoring and evaluation. He/she collaborates with other Technical Advisers to ensure the collection and dissemination of emerging developments in the thematic area. Knowledge management at this level directly impacts on quality enhancement of IFAD¿s programmes and partnership development for rural poverty reduction. The accountabilities/key results expected are
- Senior-level Technical Advice
- Programme Advice and Development;
- Knowledge Management and Capacity Building
- Partnership Building and Resource Mobilization
- Monitoring and Reporting
Under the overall guidance of the Director, PTA and direct supervision of Senior Technical Adviser; as a member of the Institutions and Organizations Team in RISE, and in close consultation with other thematic Technical Advisers the incumbent will:
- Provide up-to-date advice to Country Strategy (COSOP) and Project design country programme management teams (CPMTs), on institutional and organizational design that ensures strong national ownership, effective management, streamlined implementation arrangements/ processes, effective monitoring and evaluation frameworks and meaningful community participation.
- Provide advice to CPMTs/national governments as to best practice in recruiting procedures, contract types and monitoring of the international and national staff of the Programme Coordination Units, the implementation of M&E systems, and review job Terms of Reference of project staff as required;
- Provide field level implementation support and contribution in written form (Technical Notes, PDR, Aide Memoires) to advise IFAD Country Program Managers (CPM), in-country project Lead Agencies, Project Coordination Units and other Project Delivery Agents (public/private) on how to:
- Lead teams and inspire them to achieve shared goals and objectives
- Lead supervision mission as delegated by the CPMs, or take responsibility for part of the supervision on selected aspects as agreed with the CPM.
- Coordinate and supervise the work of the project staff and units to enable the delivery of project annual work plans and budgets and annual progress reports, and manage the processes associated with these.
- Advise teams on the elaboration and implementation of effective M&E systems, logical frameworks and advise on the compatibility with country systems
- Optimize the management of processes by PMUs (decision making, team building, coordination and communication, etc), and human, financial and other resources
- Establish partnerships with the relevant NGOs, governmental and international programmes/projects and private sector programmes with similar objectives
- Design and deliver training schemes for the Country Programme Managers/Country Programme Officers and Project Implementation Staff.
- Contribute to the development of tools that guide in country CPMTs in assessing performance of PMUs and programme/project delivery agents
- Support the development of PTA¿s grants program, including managing processes to facilitate the uptake and sharing of knowledge within IFAD, its partners and in-country policy makers.
- Increase synergy and collaboration among PTA¿s thematic units and increase coherence of PTA¿s engagement with other IFAD divisions in the Programme Management Department (PMD), as well as with the Strategy and Knowledge Management Department (SKM) on issues related to programme/project delivery modalities, M&E systems (RIMS), their effectiveness and efficiency.
- Contribute to innovation, learning and knowledge management processes by analysing and synthesising information for in-house learning process of enhancing competencies on institutional aspects and implementation arrangements.
- Build and strengthen strategic engagement with knowledge centres and partners dealing with above mentioned issues in developing countries.
- Perform other duties as may be requested by the Director of the Division.
Education and experience
- Advanced university degree (Master’s level) in a relevant social science, MBA or other relevant field.
- At least 8 years of successful professional experience in design of rural development programmes in particular the development of and implementation of management systems in developing countries.
- Experience and knowledge in program coordination and management and participatory processes.
- Knowledge and understanding of the work of international organizations and national governments as well as experience in providing implementation advice to program/project management teams in the context of agriculture and rural development programmes.
- Proven capacity to conduct fieldwork, to draw lessons learned and to identify practical solutions.
- Strategic thinking and organizational development: Protects and enhances the corporate reputation and maintains its integrity
- Demonstrating Leadership: Leads by example; initiates and supports change
- Learning, sharing knowledge and innovating: Challenges, innovates and contributes to a learning culture
- Focusing on clients: Contributes to a client-focused culture
- Problem solving and decision making: Solves complex problems and makes decisions that have wider corporate impact
- Managing time, resources and information: Coordinates wider use of time, information and/or resources
- Team Work: Fosters a cohesive team environment
- Communicating and negotiating: Acquires and uses a wide range of communication styles and skills
- Building relationships and partnerships: Builds and maintains strategic partnerships internally and externally
- Managing performance and developing staff: Manages staff and teams effectively
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English; including the ability to set out a coherent argument in presentations and group interactions
- A working knowledge of another official language of IFAD (Arabic, French or Spanish) is desirable.
Applicants should note that IFAD staff members are international civil servants subject to the authority of the President of IFAD, and they may be assigned by him/her to any of the activities of IFAD, including field assignments and/or rotation within IFAD.
Interested candidates are requested to apply by completing IFAD’s Personal History Form (PHF) in English. A separate CV may be attached if you so desire, only as a supplement and not a substitute to the PHF. THE APPLICATION SHOULD BE MADE THROUGH THE ONLINE SYSTEM ONLY.
In the interest of making most cost effective use of funds and resources, we are only able to respond to applicants who are short-listed for interview. Candidates who do not receive any feedback within three months should consider their application unsuccessful.
Candidates may be required to take a written test and to deliver a presentation as well as participate in interviews.