(Part III of Plants and Fertilizer Act, 2010 (Act 803) and Part II of Environmental Protection Agency Act, 1994 (Act 490))
The Pesticide and Fertilizer Regulatory Division (PFRD) supervises and trains regulatory inspectors, publishes information materials, registers and trains pesticide and fertilizer dealers and applicators. It keeps records as well as statistics of pesticides and fertilizers, manages pesticides and fertilizer stocks in the country, supervises bio-efficacy trials on pesticides and fertilizers carried out by research institutions and facilitate the removal of obsolete and unwanted chemicals (pesticides and fertilizers).
As stated in Part III of Plants and Fertilizer Act, 2010 (Act 803), a person shall not import, manufacture or distribute fertilizers in commercial quantities unless the person is registered. Part II of the Environmental Protection Agency Act 490 (1994) mandates the EPA and the PFRD to carry out Pesticides regulatory activities.
Requirement for registration of fertilizer companies and products
- Application to the Minister of Food and Agriculture stating the intention of registering a Fertilizer Company / Product(s).
- Purchase application form(s) after acceptance of initial letter.
- Submit application form(s) with the underlisted attached;
- Certificate of registration (Registrar Generals Department).
- Copies of laboratory analysis of the product.
- Product label.
- Product sample (if it is a new product).
- Review of application letter and other relevant documents by the fertilizer Administrator.
- Payment of recommended fees.
- Analysis of fertilizer samples in a designated laboratory to verify guaranteed levels of fertilizer nutrients.
- Granting of fertilizer product or company registration certificate or a fertilizer dealer’s license by the Pesticides and Fertilizer Regulatory Division.
Import requirements for fertilizer product(s)
Application for fertilizer import permit on a letter head, the application could be sent to the nearest regional agricultural office or to PPRSD headquarters. The application should contain; name and address of importer, name and address of exporter, name of fertilizer product(s), name of compounds, concentration (%), type of formulation, quantity of fertilizer product(s) to be imported eg; Kg, bags, litres etc., country of origin of fertilizer, indicate the port of Entry, attach company registration number or document (Registrar Generals Department), attach a pro-forma invoice or technical document of the fertilizer product(s) to the application letter if necessary.
Export requirements for fertilizer product(s)
Apply for a license to register as an exporter of fertilizer, the application could be sent to the nearest regional agricultural office or to the PPRSD headquarters. The letter should include the following; name and address of exporter, name and address of importer/consignee, point of loading, type of fertilizer(s), distinguishing marks, quantity(ies) of fertilizer product(s) to be exported eg; Kg, bags, litres etc., country of origin, declared point of exit, country of destination.
For further information contact;
Plant Protection and Regulatory Services Directorate
P. O.Box M 37
Tel: +233 (0) 303 777 547