AFRAM PLAINS DISTRICT AGRICULTURAL DEVELOPMENT PROJECT (APDADP)
-INCREASING AGRIC. OUTPUT
-IMPROVING HOUSEHOLD INCOMES OF BENEFICIARIES
FOUR MAJOR COMPONENTS
1) PRODUCTION DEVELOPMENT
2) INFRASTRUCTURE DEVELOPMENT
3) INSTITUTIONAL CAPACITY BUILDING
4) PROJECT MANAGEMENT
Crop production Improvement
Rain water management
Activities to cover;
- 16,984 ha of maize
- 11323 ha of yam
- 11,323 ha of cashew
- 5,660 ha of cassava
- land availability
- willingness to participate in this activity
Improved irrigated vegetable production
Fodder Banks and Dugouts
- Five (5) 200 ha fodder banks to be sited at the following areas: Dwarf Island, Forifori, Amankwa Tornu, Mim Chemfre and Mame Krobo
- Communities PARTICIPATION- site selection, planning, development and operation of the banks.
- Project resources will be used for establishing fodder banks, constructing the dugouts and cost of securing planting materials.
- The project would purchase the following from the LDP for crossing farmers stock.
20 genetically improved bulls
100 male goats
100 male sheep
- Farmers are not to pay any fees for the use of these animals, but to provide shelter for them.
- Project to support the vaccination of poultry and ruminants
- Train and equip 26 Community Livestock Animals Workers at the Animal Health and Production College, Pong Tamale.
FISHERIES RESOURCES MANAGEMENT
- 3 million fingerlings (1 million yearly) to be used to restock the Volta Lake
- 120 fisherfolk groups to be formed.
- 240 cages (Acadja technology)
Forestry Conservation and Reforestation
- 10 Community nurseries to be established to produce 25,000 seedlings each annually.
- Community-based nursery committees to be formed in the beneficiary communities.
- Green belts and woodlots to be established.
Upgrading feeder Roads
- The project will rehabilitate two cargo ferries
- Finance the study of a sustainability plan for the management of the ferry services.
- 10 market facilities; 5 for crops and vegetables and 5 for livestock will be constructed.
- Form Community Market Committees to manage the facilities.
Crop Storage Facilities
- 5 demonstration storage facilities will be constructed at Donkorkrom, Forifori, Tease, Maame Krobo and Agodeke.
- Form Storage Facility Management Committees to mange facilities.
Rehabilitation of Office and Staff Houses
The project will finance the rehabilitation of the following:
- Renovation:-Office (DADU Office and extension, Veterinary Clinic).
- Residential Accommodation sustainability plan for the management of the ferry services.
INSTITUTIONAL CAPACITY BUILDING
Beneficiary Farmer groups
- 900 groups for rain water management.
- 53 groups for irrigated vegetable production
- 120 groups for fishing activities
- 65 groups for livestock production
- Training will be in the following areas:
- group dynamics, group formation and team building.
- Participatory training and extension
- Water and environmental management
- Basic book keeping and farm budgeting
- Credit management
- Two farmer group tours will be undertaken each year.
Train staff at GIDA in irrigation technology.
The project will support the training centre with 2 Computers(1 Desktop and 1laptop computers.
Achieve the target of 32 AEAs to improve extension coverage.
Train 3 qualified staff at the University of Ghana to the MSc level (in project appraisal, evaluation and monitoring, business management,accounting and book keeping.
Staff training, provision of office equipment and transport (1 double cabin pickup) for field supervision.
Market Information System
- Training of DADU staff in radio broadcasts in extension methodology.
- The project will finance exchange of other agricultural experiences.
The project will provide funds to the following outfits:
- Aids Control Commission for Anti-AIDS campaigns
- Ministry of Health for Anti-Malaria campaigns
GAC and MOH are to develop training modules on the subjects in the courses to be organised for the various target groups.
Sign MOUs with the Ministries of Road Transport; Fisheries and Land Mines and Forestry and provide financial support the for services rendered by their staff working directly with the project.
.Recruit consultants, contractors and NGOs for specific assignments under the project such as:
- baseline surveys
- group mobilisation
- Fingerlings production
- Development of road designs
- Road construction
- Geophysical surveys and Borehole construction
- fodder bank and dugout construction
- Construction of market facilities
- Construction of crop storage facilities
- Rehabilitation of DADU Offices, Residential accommodation and Vet Clinic & Lab
- Organise on-the -job training and academic training for DADU staff and staff of collaborating partners.
EXPECTED INCREMENTAL PRODUCTION OUTPUTS
At full development, there will be an incremental production of the following:
Maize – 54,400 tonnes
Yam - 84,920 tonnes
Cashew – 11,320 tonnes
Cassava – 88,290 tonnes
Pepper - 11,155 tonnes
Tomatoes - 2,910 tonnes
Onions - 2,330 tonnes
Okra - 2,720 tonnes
Beef - 4,940 tonnes
Sheep & Goat meat - 10,970 tonnes
Poultry - 9,000 tonnes
Fish - 6,000 tonnes