The Statistics Research and Information Directorate (SRID) was created in 1999 in response to Civil Service Law (PNDC Law 135 of 1985) that requires for a Statistics and Information Directorate within the Ministry of Food and Agriculture (MOFA).
The Directorate has three main units namely:
- The Agricultural Statistics and Census Unit
- The Marketing Services Unit
- The Ministry of Food and Agriculture Resource Centre
To provide relevant, accurate and timely agricultural statistics and information for stakeholders to ensure that:
- agricultural production decisions are based on objective and realistic criteria and
- agricultural statistics generated for policy formulation, planning, project implementation, monitoring and evaluation are efficiently communicated within MOFA and the general public.
To generate relevant, reliable and timely statistical information on the agricultural sector through the establishment of an operational food and agricultural statistics system within SRID of MOFA
The main functions of SRID of MOFA at the national level are:
- To conduct Annual Crop and Livestock Survey to generate area planted, yield and production of various crops and also livestock population.
- Report on current food situation in the country, on quarterly basis.
- Prepare an annual crop budget for major commodities.
- To conduct annual market surveys to provide information on commodity prices at farm gate, wholesale and retail levels, agricultural input prices and transport charges on commodities.
- Prepare weekly and monthly price data on major food commodities and agro-inputs.
- Producing demand-driven and quality agricultural statistics,
- Maintaining sustainability in agricultural statistics production and dissemination,
- Exhibiting professionalism and international best practices in agricultural statistics production,
- Promoting standardization and harmonization across directorates, districts and other agencies that collect and disseminate agricultural related statistics in the country,
- Promoting effective coordination, collaboration, cooperation, information sharing among and between stakeholders in the national agricultural statistics system.
OTHER COLLABORATING AGENCIES
We collaborate with the underlisted MDAs, Research Institutions/Universities:
- The other three (3) Line Directorates and the Technical Directorates of MOFA
- The Agricultural Faculties of the University of Ghana, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, University of Cape Coast and University for Development Studies
- The institutions under the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) whose activities are related to MOFA
- The Ghana Statistical Service (GSS)
- Ghana Meteorological Agency
- Ministry of Trade and Industries
- The Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO)
- The World Food Programme (WFP)
- The Bank of Ghana (BoG)
- Institute of Statistical, Social and Economic Research (ISSER), University of Ghana