- The Government of Republic of Ghana has applied for a grant from the African Development Fund for UA21.74 million (equivalent to US$28.91 million) to finance SAVANNAH AGRICULTURE VALUE CHAIN DEVELOPMENT PROJECT (SADEP).
- Programme development goal: The overall goal of the Project is to ensure national food and nutrition security, create employment and contribute to industrialization.
Specific programme objectives: (i)to increase the climate-resilient production of maize, rice and soybean to support the poultry value chain, (ii)generate employment, (iii)increase the incomes of farmers and support household nutrition, (iv)especially the vulnerable women headed households.
- The programme includes the following components:
a) Climate-resilient Production Development:
- To support farmers with farm inputs to produce climate-resilient rice, maize and soybean in line with Government’s input subsidy policy under PFJ, expand land development to produce 8,000 hectares (2,000 Ha Rice, 3,000 Ha for Maize and 3,000 Ha for soybean),
- Facilitate mechanization services to 200 commercial farmers and 67,000 out-growers established under SAPIP and SIP,
- Support the production of breeder and foundation seed high yielding and climate resistant seed of maize, rice and soya by Savannah Agricultural Research Institute (SARI) and also certified seed production by seed growers
- Spot improvement of at least 50 km of farm roads
- To provide support to the commercial production of poultry meat. Interventions will include 50,000 guinea fowls, 50,000 broilers and 30,000 layers for women as initial input for commercial poultry production, in accordance with Government subsidy policy.
b) Sustainable Value Chain Development:
- To support agriculture value chain actors, particularly post-production value chain actors to improve processing efficiency and enhance quality standards,
- Promotion of quality standards for rice, maize and soybean production in collaboration with Ghana Standards Authority, capacity building on effective storage and processing in collaboration with the Ghana Grains Council,
- Capacity building of value chain actors, including linkages to financial services to expand processing capacity and optimize operational efficiency, would be undertaken,
- support to district level with defeathering and cutting/processing of poultry meat, facilitate the establishment of a soybean processing facility, enhance access to market information (e.g., quantity, quality, timing and pricing) and link producers with off-takers.
c) Project Management and Institutional Support:
- Development of annual work plans and budgets, the establishment of a results-based monitoring and evaluation system, annual financial audits, procurement audits, conducting project mid-term review, beneficiary impact assessment, project completion reports and other relevant studies,
- Aim at coordinating the work of stakeholders for effective and efficient delivery. Planning and technical review meetings would be undertaken. This sub-component will support the Project Steering Committee (PSC), coordination of efforts among members of the Agriculture Sector Working Group (AgSWG) and ensure that the implementation of this operation is well aligned with Government’s priorities, including PFJ.
- Procurement of goods and works, and acquisition of consulting services will be carried out in accordance with the “Procurement Policy and Methodology for Bank Group Funded Operations” (BPM), dated October 2015.
- Request for Expression of Interest for the acquisition of consultants for the provision of various Services and bidding documents for goods to be procured for project activities are expected to be issued in January 2023 while Bidding Documents for the procurement of works contracts are expected to be available in February 2023.
- Interested bidders may obtain further information, and should confirm their interest, by contacting:
National Programme Coordinator
Street Address: F198 North High Street, The office block of the Northern Regional Department of Agriculture, off the Tamale - Bolgatanga Road, P. O. Box TL 1237, Tamale, Ghana
Floor: 1st Floor NPC office; City: Tamale; Country: Ghana
Digital Address: NS-118-1186